The Government of New Brunswick believes that, in most cases, employers and their candidates can complete and submit provincial immigration applications without the services of an immigration consultant, an HR recruiter, or other service provider. Indeed, all provincial immigration program guides and necessary application forms are available on this website. And if you have specific questions or concerns, you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-506-453-3981.
In many situations, however, you may choose to use a representative to provide immigration advice or assistance with your immigration and other workforce needs.
Choosing an authorized immigration consultant
If you do decide to use the services of an immigration consultant or other representative, be sure to choose an authorized, reputable agency or individual, and remember, only the following can charge a monetary fee for immigration support services:
- Lawyers and paralegals, who are members in good standing of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society;
- Notaries who are members in good standing of the Chambre des notaires du Québec; and
- Registered Canadian immigration consultants in good standing with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC)
Consult the ICCRC Registry to find a consultant in your region, or to verify the status of your chosen consultant.
Choosing an Authorized HR Professional
In Canada, human resources and recruitment officers identify and advertise job vacancies, recruit candidates, and assist in the selection and reassignment of employees. The role usually requires a university degree or college diploma in a field related to personnel management such as business administration, industrial relations, commerce or psychology or completion of a professional development program in personnel administration, and certification as a Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) may be required. CPHR New Brunswick does have a public member list that you can consult to confirm accreditation.
Protect yourself against fraud:
As a general rule, an immigration consultant is not an HR professional and an HR professional is not an immigration consultant (although some professionals or organizations are authorized to offer both suites of services).
- An immigration consultant can provide you with information and advice about Canadian immigration programs and their processes. An immigration consultant can also assist you with the preparation of any immigration applications.
- An immigration consultant cannot guarantee the success of your application; they cannot guarantee the speed at which your application will be processed; and they cannot guarantee the reversal of any unfavourable decision that might be delivered upon your application.
- An HR professional or other recruiter can provide services to help find skilled talent or employment opportunities, but they cannot provide any services related to immigration and its processes.
If an immigration consultant, an HR professional, or any other individual instructs you, or if you of your own accord choose to lie or provide false or misleading information on any immigration application, or if any individual does so on your behalf, all could face criminal charges for misrepresentation and your candidates may be prevented from applying for Canadian permanent residence.
If any individual or company approaches you with claims that they have candidates ready for your business, this is a red flag and you should use caution. It is highly probable that the individual or company has candidates who have paid to get a pathway to Canadian permanent residence – by any means necessary – and so the hired individual or company will “shop around” to find employers willing support immigration via the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program or New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program.
If you have concerns about a consultant or recruiter and their practices, or if any individual or company asks to be granted access to your INB Employer account, please contact Population Growth Division immediately at email@example.com or 1-506-453-3981.